Initial Rock Historic Site

Javascript is required to view this map.
12 miles southwest of Belfield, Belfield, ND

On May 28th, 1876, records indicate that 7th Cavalry privates Frank Neely and William C. Williams were assigned to rear guard duty. In the absence of he Sioux they were pursuing, perhaps they found themselves with time on their hands and decided to fill it by carving their names in a sandstone bluff. To this day, their names remain in silent testimony to their passing.

Top Features
  • Open Year 'Round
All Features
  • Open Year 'Round
Cost of Admission
  • Admission: This site is free of charge.
General Information
  • Hours of Operation: This site is open year-round, though it is not normally accessible by wheeled vehicle in the winter.